CARES Act Emergency Assistance

To qualify for CARES Act Emergency Assistance, you must have had COVID related financial hardships AND have household income at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Line.  

​Eligible Services

  • Rental Assistance

  • Utility Assistance

  • Homeless Services

  • Education Services

  • Health/Nutrition Services

  • Other services as determined by need

Documentation Required

Please be prepared to provide the following when making your application for assistance.  

- Proof of COVID related hardship - may include, but not limited to, proof of place of work closure, proof of reduced hours at work, letters from employers, proof of unemployment benefits or denial

- Proof of past-due bills 

Eviction notices, past due rent notices, past due utility notices

- Current Income Verification

Annual Income Limits

1 person HH - $25,520

2 person HH - $34,480

3 person HH - $43,440

4 person HH - $52,400

5 person HH - $61,360

6 person HH - $70,320

Current income verification is required.  Documentation may include recent pay stubs, verification of unemployment benefits, SSI, Social Security, Tax returns for self-employment.  

Applications will be done by phone or email until further notices.  ROCS Outreach Locations are closed to the public at this time.  

To apply for assistance, please contact the outreach provider for the county in which you live.  

Charles Mix, Gregory, Hutchinson, Douglas Counties

Call 605-384-3883 (Wagner Office) OR 605-487-7634 (Lake Andes Office) or email


Yankton, Clay, Union, Bon Homme Counties
Call 605-665-4559 (Yankton Office) or email


Tripp County - Call 605-842-2736 (Winner Resource Center for Families)


Davison, Aurora, Sanborn, Hanson, Jerauld Counties

Call 605-996-9626 (Mitchell Office) or email


Brule, Buffalo, Lyman, Jones, Todd, Mellette Counties

Call 605-234-6474 (Chamberlain Office) or email


Facebook: Rural Office of Community Services, Inc.

ROCS Emergency Services

ROCS Inc. employs five Outreach Providers with offices located in Lake Andes, Wagner, Mitchell, Yankton and Chamberlain. ROCS has a contract agreement with the Family Resource Center in Winner to provide services to Tripp County. The Outreach Providers take applications and assist clients with emergency needs including food pantries, shelter assistance, utility assistance, rental assistance and the garden project. The Outreach Providers provide referrals to other programs such as the Department of Social Services, WIC, Fuel Assistance, SSI, SHIINE and Prescription Programs. The Outreach Providers also distribute information on federal, state or local programs to better educate our low-income and elderly clients about the programs and services that are available to them. Information is also made available through the Agency by quarterly newsletters, area health fairs, website and referrals from other agencies.

Emergency Utility Assistance 

Emergency Past Due Rental Assistance

VITA - Free Income Tax Assistance Program

Utility Deposits

Homeless Prevention/Rapid ReHousing

School Supply Program - July - Sept.

First Months Rent

Rental Deposits

Public Transportation Assistance

Garden Program - March - July

Food Pantry

Gas Vouchers for New Employment

Poverty Simulation Facilitation